The Art of Persuasion20 May, 20235 Mins
Are you a legal candidate ready to negotiate your contract or ask for a promotion at work?
As legal recruiters, we understand how crucial the negotiation process can be.
So, if you work in the legal profession and you’re facing a negotiation situation, here are 7 tips to help you come away with a great deal that you can be happy with:
- Research your market value and know your worth for your position, experience level, and location.
- Put together a list of your accomplishments, skills, and qualifications and be ready to talk about your value to the firm.
- Build relationships with colleagues and your bosses for a significant advantage in negotiations. You’ve laid a solid foundation and secured your place in the firm.
- Communicate your needs and expectations clearly and assertively while remaining professional and respectful.
- Listen carefully and seek to understand the firm's needs and constraints.
- Be flexible and prepared to make concessions to reach a mutually beneficial agreement. But don’t compromise on non-negotiables like your values or ethics.
- Follow up in writing to confirm the agreement terms so there are no misunderstandings.
In our work, we play a key role at the critical negotiation stage in helping candidates and law firms get the best possible deal. Get in touch if you’d like our help.
Any tips you’d add to this list? Let us know in the comments section