The Done List31 Jan, 20245 minutes
Got a job appraisal or an interview coming up?
Create your "Done List" and boost your legal career 🚀
Legal careers move fast. Cases, clients, courtrooms and billable hours all keep you busy. But it’s really worthwhile to keep a quick log of your career accomplishments.
Even if you don’t have time to reflect on the small and big wins straight away, your future self will thank you for keeping a regularly updated “Done List”. Here’s why:
- Advocating Your Value: Referring to tangible contributions is more powerful than focusing on responsibilities. Did you win a challenging case? Lead a successful negotiation? Your "Done List" helps you see the impact your work has had.
- Confidence Booster: Job appraisals and interviews can be nerve-wracking, but your ‘Done List’ is a record of your successes and a reminder of what you’ve achieved.
- Data-Driven Discussions: Your “Done List” records your achievements with specific examples and metrics. Facts and data speak volumes! Having your "Done List" is proof of your achievements.
- Strategic Career Planning: The "Done List" is not just retrospective; it's a tool for planning your next career move. Identify patterns in your successes, pinpoint areas you need to work on, and set goals for the future.
- The Career Move: Use your “Done List” to update your CV, advocate for yourself in a job interview, or win a pay rise.
Too often we lose track of what we’ve done over a year. Just using a spreadsheet or simple document where you regularly dump your accomplishments into it and add any context you may forget in the future.
Of course, if you are looking for a legal job, get in touch! 👋